Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Valley Beyond

Even maps can't excite the imagination as much as the physical reality. Standing on a ridge, a narrow pass at the end of the small valley I had traversed across, my eyes had new views beyond the original one; now another valley beyond, other hanging entrances waited my steps through their narrow corridors. New lakes, streams, and alpine meadows sprawled across the open land. Mountains hung near the sky in different shapes; some tall with jagged tops, ramps of narrow ridge lines forming trails to their peaks; others sheer walls the defied even sheep to climb their vaulted tops. Somehow I would find a way into these inner places, adding new views and going deeper into the Chugach Mountains.

1 comment:

  1. Dad, very nice. You missed giving it a title, so I can't see it on my RSS feed list. Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete