Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Winner Creek Trail





The Winner Creek trail has been manicured to match the sensibilities of tourists and local bicycle enthusiasts. At least on the side that comes from the Alyeska Hotel in Girdwood. Through the coastal forest of hemlock, the trail winds a mile-and-a-half to a T. I turn left here and continue down and around a hill. Here, the creek crashes through a small gorge, over which passes a bridge. A huge cleft in the dark rock walls amplifies the sound of the cascade of water. And here the rumbling waters swirl downwards, crashing and spitting up water, till it vanishes around a dark corner. A small distance from here, not too far down the trail, another point of interest waits me. Meanwhile, the light is fading in the summer night, so I move a little faster to see the sight beyond. Only a few people wander along the trail at this hour; perhaps a couple of local adventurers or maybe a biker or two. It is quiet now as I go downhill. Finally I round a corner and see what has brought me here. The trail ends at the edge of another abyss with the tumbling waters 50-60 feet below. The only way across is on a tramway. By riding over inside a steel cage ( attached by a steel cable), while pulling on a loop of rope, a few minutes of effort gives access to the other side of the creek. However, somebody has locked the cage on the far side, so now nobody on this side can go any further. Two girls are on the deck of the tramway, pulling without any effect on the rope. We can go no further, but I store the sight of this part of Winner Creek for another day. This way is the most scenic route to travel. Coming from this direction, the hiker could continue up to the T, keep going straight into the upper reaches of Winner Creek. Now, a gentle darkness hangs over the forest and I walk faster to return to the beginning near the Alyeska Hotel. While on the return, I see a large tumor on a tree. On it is a face. It seems kind of bizarre and maybe the person who did this had a strange sense of humor. But in the semi-darkness, as I depart the Winner Creek area, the wierdness of the face gives me the creeps. I wonder how many other strange faces are hiding along the trail or in the woods.

1 comment: