Friday, April 30, 2010

To Skilak Lake and beyond

The evening slowly drew a deep shadow over the low lying places in Skilak Lake. The sense of excitement, of the light at dusk moved me to find a place to see the changes come. Sometimes though, the reason for setting out changes, when something else draws the imagination off the track.

I struggled up the trail, fording a run-off, which cut a pathway through the melting ice. On this side of the hill, the snow still hung in view. So I moved as quickly as I could, since the light was dimming. How much I wanted to view the Lake beyond, to view the turquoise waters and snow gathered mountains, within which it hung. Soon I was in the open. Here the remnants of an old burn, of blackened trees, naked of limb, formed a screen between the lake and me. But something else caught my attention.

To the East was the Pass from where we'd come. A new vantage of sight filled in my lack of understanding. Now I had a reference point of sight from which to make new plans for wandering here. A new world of possibilities tumbled through layer after layer of wonder. A feeling now issued forth from some hidden source of desire, making my hopes grow brighter as to the path I'd take. The big view was a map of future hikes and views. I couldn't guess what other things now lay in store. The days reveal themselves in ways we can't always know. Still, I know the element of surprise can always open new doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment