Sunday, April 18, 2010

The empty spaces

I was in motion, roaming, soaking up the sun on a early Spring day. The thing that seems so special at this time of year is the glare. Without the snow and ice, I suppose this effect would be lessened in the mind. In any case, I had no plan or particular direction to go. I just walked along the perimeter of the city, away from the noise. Soon I cam to the lake that was fronted by condominiums on one side, while a dark hill to the south, the High School. The lake was mostly a slushy surface, like ice creme. So I moved along, passing lawyers jogging, talking about their briefs, and moving aside for women Walking their dogs. Soon I was near where a lake emptied into the bay.

Here I found an open stretch of water, just off from shore. Nature does not always work in lines, but melts in geometrical fashion, and in curves. I found there an S-Curved shape of openness. It seemed to wander into the icy flatness of the lake. Why? I do not know, but the beauty of curving paths makes a shapely picture. Up in the S-shaped pathway two ducks found a place of solitude. Here they rested, protected from people's dogs and close intrusion. I watched awhile and wondered. People passed in disinterested groups, too busy, running or talking on cell phones.

Unlike the ducks, most of the runners,walkers, talkers weren't aware of the world about them. They didn't stop to watch or reflect--too busy with schedules and cares. Even five minutes would have made them see the wonders that lay all about them. They would have seen the clouds, brilliant and penetrated by the sun, forming and dissolving in a few minutes time. They would have seen the young mother playing with her 15 month baby girl;if they had bothered to stop and inquire. This seemed strange to me, that all these runners, walkers, and talkers sped along under a Spring sky, so oblivious to what begged their attention. They were strangers to all this, and strangers to others, but more so, they were trapped in a S-curve of time, down which they wandered.

No comments:

Post a Comment