Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Power of First Light

Only a few tracings of cloud in the cool dawn air; the light invades from the east; and I know, for a while, the day will bring color and light to the valleys beyond. As I climb higher, the sense of peace in the quiet outlines of of hills grounds me to the earth. Here, a solitude of thought mixes with the sounds of water rushing downwards to the sea. This exploration of mood, as well as place and time, leads me away from the busy approaches, back into primal yearnings and trackless lands. Staying on a trail only gives the viewpoint of knowns and ways of a thousand other minds; so, I look for cracks and openings that extend the experience of travel into hidden-- yet paradoxically what may be in full view-- channels of perception: a new place, at a different time of day, can change the world into something mysterious and sacred--yes, I seek the sacred ground of morning mist or the golden accents of first light, becoming reunited with the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment